Oh Dean Street, I love you, especially on nice sunny evenings like last night. Its the beating artistic heart of Soho, and what a proliferation of brilliant places on one little street:
- Experimental and great value theatre and comedy at Soho Theatre – good bar too.
- Drinks and larfs with media luvvies at the French House pub.
- Thai food at Rosa’s.
- Gorgeous dinner and cocktails at the Dean Street Townhouse (not been but reviews are wonderful).
- Pizza Express jazz club (jazz & pizza = brilliant)
- Home to the mysterious Graucho Club.
- Cheap, relaxed food at Pierre Victoire (avec pianist compris) and Prix Fixe, of which, more below.
Sitting outside at Prix Fixe
It can be hard to find outside space in Soho, but what better on a sunny day than sitting with great friends on the pavement outside a resto, sipping wine and watching the crazy (rather tipsy) world of Soho unfold before your eyes.
I’d put Prix Fixe in the Pierre Victoire category. Unpretentious, inexpensive, relaxed, rustic, French-style, decent food. Perfect for a post-work dinner with friends that is likely to begin with a bit too much wine, tremendous gossip and a lot of time taken to order food.
A perfect example of British food sharing – no-one will EVER take the last one of anything….
We ordered a la carte (super cheapo fixe prix deal before 7pm only) with a lovely pinot grigio rose (around £16.50). We started by sharing the meze platter – very tasty especially the humous and veggies which were amazingly fresh and delicious (falafel a bit dry my only complaint). I never know how to spell humous, hummus, hoummous, mezze, meze, hmm. Anyway, I finished off with the seabass with polenta and poached egg. It was incredibly good especially for that price – tasty, light and more-ish. Apparently the menu changes weekly and the waiters were lovely.
Grilled seabass – yummy and virtuous (mostly)
All in all, for lots of rose, shared starter and delicious main we paid £75 between 3 so around £25 each. Definitely a great post-work, lazy dinner kind of place – I like mucho.